Thursday, February 11, 2016

That Wedding Thing

For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to be married.

And not in that way that young girls have been taught to be “wife material”. My role model for wifedom was always my mom: one of my earliest memories is of her walking me to preschool, after which she would catch two buses to get to work. I have just always wanted the idea of what marriage would bring: unconditional, unrefined love. I wanted the house with the hubby and the kids because I genuinely believed (and, god forbid, still do) that it would be kinda nice.

I look at my friends from high school, and it has made me think that perhaps I may be a little behind. They own houses with their long-term boyfriends. I see posts on social media of engagement parties and weddings and not-so-cute-but-they’re-mine babies and think that maybe my life plan is not where it is meant to be. At this point in her life, even my stoic mother had three children.

But I am beginning to understand things a little bit more now that I am old. (And by old, I mean too close to 30 to celebrate birthdays.) I recently had a conversation with a potential husband-suitor, and he told me that he wouldn’t get married until he felt that he was financially secure. And I was a bit upset that he didn’t think that love would carry us through the “rough years”. I always thought that I would marry a man who would be quite content to spend the first three years of our lives together living in the back room of an understanding older cousin.

Unfortunately, my parents were naïve enough to send me to a liberal arts school that made me think beyond the norms that our society endorses.  I began to think about what I wanted from marriage, and what my male peers/counterparts/comrades (choose your politically-affiliated word) think marriage is. For them, it’s the moment where everything comes together; for women, it’s the moment where everything begins.

I should probably preface the next part of the article by saying I. Am . A. Feminist. Sure, if your value system coincides with Napoleon’s, this word may make you squirm.  But let me assure you that, as a feminist, I believe purely that choice should be universal, not gender-specific (sorry, Trump).

For most women, marriage is prescribed: it’s sort of the thing you do after your parents (read your father’s pay check) have paid for your educational interests, and now there’s sort of nothing else to do so, hey, why not? Of course I’m not bashing them women-folk who CHOOSE to be housewives, but generally speaking, women have believed in ‘Beauty and the Beast’; how we are gracious enough to let love happen to us accidentally, instead of by choice.

So my thoughts on marriage and love have changed a bit. Sure, I still want to be married. But when my partner talks about being “financially stable enough to get married”, I see that as being a challenge for where I see myself. I want to be in a place where I can offer as much as he offers, whether that is in terms of finance, or my independence. I want to see marriage as another accomplishment, as opposed to the goal.

Because, I am all sorts of amazing. I didn’t need Beyoncé to tell me to stand in formation. I’ve been in formation for the last twenty-nine years: grafting and planning the life that I want to live. And that life definitely includes marrying a man who looks like Don Draper and acts like Matt Damon. But I don’t need that. I want that.


And my general awesomeness dictates that that’s what I deserve. And you’d best believe that’s what I am going to get.

"I have thrust myself into this maze,

Haply to wive and thrive as best I may." - The Taming of the Shrew

No comments:

Post a Comment